Real Simple put together an expert consensus on how frequently you need to launder key warm-weather clothing pieces—barring stains or especially sticky days, that is.
Here are just a few of their recommendations:
- Jeans: After 4 to 5 wears
- Dress Pants: After 4 to 5 wears
- Jackets and Blazers: After 5 to 6 wears
- Khaki Shorts and Pants: After 2 to 3 wears
- Pajamas: After 3 to 4 wears
- Skirts: After 4 to 5 wears
- Swimsuits: After every wear
- Tops and Dresses: After 1 to 3 wears
- T-Shirts, Tanks and Camisoles: After every wear
- Bras: After 3 to 4 wears
For details go to The When To Wash It Handbook
Maybe I’m a clean freak, but the only time I’ll wear a pair of jeans more than once or twice is when I’m on a motorcycle trip and don’t have room to pack more. I guess I use a lot more water and detergent than most people. Once in a while I’ll change clothes in the evening and then I might put the same clothes on the next day, but otherwise it’s clean duds for me every day.